For a detailed, visual timeline of Mount Vernon's history, click on the image below:
Here is a summary of Mount Vernon Baptist Church's history
1920s: The need for a Baptist Church to serve a growing community in the Highlands/Aurora Hills section of Arlington, Virginia, began. Reverend Puryear organized a group of 15 persons to begin Baptist meetings and prayer. The Church borrowed $400 to buy five lots of property at 935 south 23rd Street In Arlington, Virginia, the church’s current address.
1930s: Members began erection of a church building…essentially, a basement. The Reverend Willard R. Pierce became Pastor of Mount Vernon Baptist Church.
1940s: The new construction of a new church building was completed and dedicated on a Sunday afternoon in June 1941 by Dr. Fredrick W. Boatwright, President of the University of Richmond in Richmond, Virginia. The adjacent house and lot east of the church building were purchased.
1950s: The church and Sunday school had grown to 450 members. The Virginia Highlands/Aurora Hills area of Arlington was having serious growth. Mount Vernon needed to add to its building space to accommodate greater membership and church mission activities. A cornerstone for the building was laid in September of 1954.
1960s: Pastor Pierce retired and the Reverend W.D (Jack) Turner became the church’s seventh Pastor. The church received a large gift to assist with further construction.
1970s: The church adopted a new constitution that gave stronger recognition to the deacons and adopted recommendations for long-range planning.
1980s: More donations were given to the church. Mount Vernon, because of an internal organization that met the certification of the U.S. State Department and the Commerce Department’s Agency for International Development, was the recipient of thousands of tons of surplus food from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The church sent food to Haiti, Mali, Guatemala and planting seeds to Kenya and Brazil. The church also worked to maintain a close relationship with other congregations within the area.
1990s: Steve Vornov became the eighth Pastor of the church. Then Reverend Bruce Miller became pastor.
2000s: The Reverend Martha Phillips, a former intern, became pastor. Reverend Caspar Green served as pastor for a short time until Reverend Phillips returned. Significant investments were made to renovate the building. Reverend Dan Cruz served as acting pastor of the church.
2010s: The Reverend Samuel L. Feemster was recruited as pastor. Many new ministries were formed which covered the youth of the church, seniors, education, bible study, new church members, choir, and community out-reach, maintenance, and custodial services.
In August 2014, Mt. Vernon dedicates and maintains a safe haven for the first responder community known as R.E.S.T. Stop East (Restoring Essential Servants Together) R.E.S.T. Stop East is a place where first responders may find respite and experience renewal.
Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Preschool, a religiously exempt preschool and child day care program, opens in August 2016 with approved enrollment of 45 students.
Mt. Vernon Baptist Church is incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia August 19, 2016. Representing Attorney Simms Showers, LLP
Laurence K. Dash was licensed and installed as associate pastor, Mt. Vernon, Minister of Education and Minister of Finance in September 2016.